Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Featured Student - Thuc Nguyen



Thuc Doan Nguyen

-how many classes have you finished?
6

- what is your track?
Non-Profit Management

- what do you do for work?
weird web stuff. I'm a remnant of the first internet bubble.

In college, I was an intern for The Center for Peace Education in Carrboro, NC and an arts administration intern for a creative non-profit called The American Dance Festival, where I also picked up some awesome African dance moves. After that I worked at Amnesty International's International Secretariat in Islington, London and also helped an American ex-pat, Marjorie Ellis Thompson, with the first Cause Related Marketing division at Saatchi & Saatchi, also in London.

Now, I volunteer for my local ACLU Chapter, serving on the SFV Chapter's Board of Directors for 2009. In highschool, I volunteered for our local AIDS Hospice and battered women's shelter.

Non-profit work is in my blood. My sister has been with Conservation International for a decade and my parents used to work as teachers and have been involved long-term with World Vision, Kiva, Doctors Without Borders, Operation Smile...

- what are your professional goals?
To study non-profits in a scholarly setting, teach, or run an arts non-profit helping people express themselves with words. [ala Jane Lynch in Role Models]

- what do you enjoy doing outside of work/school?
Writing mostly ultra silly [non-profit so far] screenplays, stories, kids' books even. (I used to be a television writers' assistant for Bruckheimer/Warner Bros.) Occasionally I'll write drama. I also occasionally make short documentaries and films. I hang out with my boyfriend and our dog on hikes and eating binges and I'm a maniacal fan of UNC basketball.

thucdoannguyen@alumni.unc.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment